Monday, March 24, 2008

Went All the way to Zona for Fruit Loops ...

Welcome back for the day three of the blog. Of course, if you’ve been paying attention to the two previous entries, I’ll have to begin with a little fun fact. Once again, the team woke up and went down to enjoy some breakfast. You know, the fruit loops just might be the highlight of the trip! Did we come here to play baseball?

At about 10:00 we were on our way to Snedigar Sports Complex to face off with Knox College in a doubleheader.

In game one, we fell behind quickly 2-0 via a few first inning mishaps by our defense. However, the team responded well to the early deficit to eventually take a 4-2 lead that was never relinquished. First year Brandon Cantrill continued his torrid pace at the plate, coming up with a huge bases clearing double to put us ahead for good. On the hill, junior PJ Carter threw a spectacular game, constantly pounding the strike zone with a solid fastball and mixture of sharp curveballs and changeups. After taking a 4-2 lead, we really busted the game open in the fifth inning I believe, and held a commanding 9-3 advantage. Carter cruised through the rest of the ball game, throwing a complete game as we prevailed 9-5. It was our third win in a row and the team was playing great baseball.

The second game of a doubleheader is always the hardest game to win. I must admit we came out a bit flat and got into an early 5-0 hole that we could just never manage to dig ourselves out of. We ended up losing the game 10-2 which put a little damper on the day, but to still take one ball game when we didn’t have our best stuff is a positive. I’d like to congratulate first year Kyle Buzzard (Pictured) on his debut in the starting lineup. Kyle led the offense, going 2-3, as he looked very poised at the plate.

After the games I was completely exhausted and banged up. I think it might be time to get Victor Conte on speed dial and get my hands on some of the “cream” and the “clear”. Back to back doubleheaders take a toll on the body, but I’m having the time of my life so it’s all worth it.

I wish I could expound on some of the happenings during the day but I’m afraid some of our conversations might not exactly fit the PG mold. Maybe after the week we can sit down and do a Q & A like the MTV hit show “The Real World” does and those who really want to know everything can get the inside scoop. On a side note, thank god the Indians cut Aaron Fultz; he was horrible! It’s about time for the pre-game shower so I’m afraid it’s time for me to go. Wish us luck as take on Colby College in a single 9 inning game this afternoon. Tune back in tomorrow to hear about the Colby game and the rest of our day.

No comments: